The Environmental Audit Select Committee has announced an Inquiry into Sustainable Tourism
18th July 2019
The Environmental Audit Select Committee has announced that it is launching an inquiry into Sustainable Tourism and is seeking written evidence by 13th Sept.
The Terms of reference for the Inquiry are as follows:
- What can the Government do to support a sustainable inbound tourism industry in the UK?
- How should the UK tourism industry balance the need to encourage tourism whilst protecting fragile environments?
- How well is the UK industry managing the impact of tourism in line with its obligations under the sustainable development goals, at home and abroad?
- Should the UK Government take more responsibility for the impacts of outbound tourism, for example waste and resource management, protecting habitats and species and community and cultural impacts?
- How can the Government reach its net zero emissions targets through influencing sustainable travel patterns? Is there a role for offsets in sustainable tourism?
- Where should the balance lie between affordable travel and influencing sustainable travel choices? Are taxes and incentives needed?
- How effective are sustainable tourism practices by large tourism companies such as cruise ship and package holiday operators
Reading the associated press release it seems that the Inquiry is focusing on three main areas – aviation, cruise and over-tourism. There will obviously be considerable input from environmental groups, but I think that there is also a real opportunity here to address issues that impact the industry such as:
- The need to effectively regulation some sectors of the industry to reduce over-tourism
- The need to adequately fund DMOs, destinations and those responsible for the management and protection the natural and historic resources that the industry depends upon.
- The need for Government to support new green technology development in key areas such as aviation
Here’s a link to the Committee website which has more details. https://www.parliament.uk/business/committees/committees-a-z/commons-select/environmental-audit-committee/news-parliament-2017/sustainable-tourism-inquiry-launch-17-19/