Appointment of Continuing Professional Development (CPD) Support Services
21st September 2020
The Tourism Management Institute are looking a self-employed person to provide Continuing Professional Development (CPD) support services.
This exciting opportunity is a contract, which will run for the period 1st November 2020 to 31st October 2021 at which point the contract will be reviewed, and it is anticipated it will be reviewed and potentially renewed annually thereafter.
The Tourism Management Institute (TMI) is the professional organisation for anyone working in tourism destination management. TMI has a long-established relationship with education establishment but has ambitious plans to expand and develop relationships with Universities and Higher Educational establishments.
Services required - Summary
You will be the main point of contact between the TMI and Universities and student members. You will be responsible for raising the TMI’s profile among potential members and relevant national organisations.
The contractor will work closely and report into the TMI Head of CPD, an elected position on the TMI Executive Board.
This will include:
- Administering, promoting and developing the TMI HE Course Recognition Scheme
- Processing applications; dealing with opportunities for project work, guest speakers and/or placements
- Administering and promoting the David Hughes Memorial Award and Postgraduate prize
- Supporting the CPD group and the TMI Executive and National Council
Occasional support for events and membership may also be required.
The location can be flexible with home working and some travel required. The TMI is a national organisation but board meetings are generally in London and attendance at these may be requested from time to time along with attendance at the Annual Convention, Hot Topic and other Member events as appropriate.
About the Tourism Management Institute (TMI)
TMI is a network of professionals who promote and develop destinations across the UK, Europe and worldwide. We support our members throughout their careers by providing opportunities for sharing knowledge and expertise in destination management, as well as being a voice for destination management.
TMI is a company limited by guarantee, operating for the benefit of its members. It is managed by its Executive Board, are elected from the membership. Any surplus generated by TMI is reinvested to improve and enhance the services and benefits to members.
- TMI usually organises two national events each year, an Annual Convention, and a Hot Topic debate. These are great opportunities to hear the latest developments in all aspects of destination management, as well as to network with fellow professionals. The location of these events changes each year as we endeavour to make the event accessible to members, as well as to provide new study experiences based on different destinations.
- We encourage and support members to organise local/regional networking and update events and opportunities
- In 2020 we have adapted to the challenges of the global pandemic and the changing need of our members by providing regular weekly online forums and for the first time an online convention.
- The TMI LinkedIn Group is our online forum for discussion and debate on all things destination management related.
- We recognise the importance of supporting destination management professionals at all stages of their career. We have student placement guidelines and a course recognition scheme to give guidance and support to those just starting out in tourism destination management and encourage more established members to take full advantage of ongoing professional development opportunities.
- A key role for TMI is representing the interests of destination management on national bodies and through responding to consultations by government and VisitBritain and lobbying where deemed appropriate.
- We offer members the opportunity to comment on policy and developments as destination management professionals
TMI - Professional Development
The overarching aim of TMI activity is to support the professional development of destination managers at every opportunity. Our two main events, the Hot Topic one day event in spring and the longer Annual Convention in the autumn, provide formal and informal opportunities for members and others in destination management to learn from experts and each other. Our links with Higher Education through the Course Recognition Scheme are important as a means of encouraging and supporting tomorrow's up and coming tourism destination managers at the start of their careers and building strong networking between practice and research in tourism.
CPD Group - TMI has an active CPD group comprising members who are either practitioners working in destination management or in educational establishments, usually managing approved tourism related courses. The group is a sounding board on all matters relating to CPD.
For Universities -Universities and Higher Education establishments are increasingly aware of the need to set themselves apart from their competitors. In an ever more competitive marketplace, higher education providers are establishing close links with professional bodies and integrating professional recognition or accreditation into their degree programmes and courses.
With its intimate knowledge of the needs and requirements of the tourism sector, TMI is ideally placed to provide a structured and manageable way to offer their current and prospective students a competitive advantage.
Higher Education Recognition Scheme -As a professional body, TMI operates a Higher Education Recognition Schemefor courses in tourism and destination management. This scheme provides an assurance that a course meets a set of criteria, benchmarks and standards aligned to the needs of the broadly defined tourism sector. Recognition enhances the relevance of courses and employment prospects for graduates.
TMI Course Recognition lasts for a period of five years, or until the course undergoes major changes or revalidation, and provides evidence of tourism industry recognition. TMI course recognition can also provide the basis for establishing and implementing a broader professional development partnership with TMI, aimed at strengthening links with our network of tourism destination management practitioners. TMI recognises that many Universities offer one-off events, focusing on specific topics, to bring together up to the minute comment and latest research. That is why we also offer the option of awarding TMI Recognised CPD Hours for attendance at these events to universities with TMI Recognised Courses.
Continuing Professional Development - Service specification
This specification outlines the Continuing Professional Development (CPD) services to be provided by the Contractor for the period 1st November 2020 to 31st October 2021.
- Manage the TMI HE Course Recognition Scheme
- Promote and encourage participation in the TMI HE Course Recognition Scheme to universities and colleges
- Deal with enquiries about the scheme
- Process applications for recognition under the scheme, including liaison with the TMI Treasurer, liaison with the Head of CPD, allocating assessment to HE members of the TMI CPD Group, passing on feedback and certification
- Assess each application from the viewpoint of the destination management practitioner
- Maintain the record of recognised courses, ensuring the relevant section of the TMI web site is kept up to date and liaising with course programme leaders as necessary for renewals
- Deal with enquiries from leaders of TMI recognised courses in relation to opportunities for project work, guest speakers and/or placements
- Develop a programme of value added content for Universities on the scheme working with Head of events and Communications
- Administer and promote the David Hughes Memorial Award and Postgraduate prize
- Work with the Head of CPD and the CPD Group to promote the Dave Hughes Memorial Award and the Postgraduate Prize among TMI higher education members and course leaders of TMI recognised undergraduate courses
- Administer the awards process including judging and assessment, publicity and ensuring winners receive all elements of the prize
- Provide support services to the CPD Working Group
- Act as Secretariat, monitoring the composition of the working group
- Prepare update reports for TMI Executive Board meetings.
In addition to the above, the following support may also be required to support as and when necessary with agreement from the Executive:
- Events support for TMI Annual Events 2019 (as required)
This may include tasks such as promoting TMI events to members of TMI HE Course Recognition Scheme
TMI will provide one complimentary delegate place at the Hot Topic events and the Annual Convention, for which travel expenses will be paid.
Written applications are invited for this position. Applicants are invited to demonstrate an understanding and/or experience in the following professional areas.
- Continuing professional development
- Higher education and academic processes
- Tourism and destination management
It is anticipated that the preferred applicant will be educated to degree level or equivalent with at least 5 years’ experience in the required professional areas above. Additional experience within a similar membership organisation is also desirable.
Skills and Attributes
Applicants are also invited to include in their submission evidence of the following skills or attributes:-
- Organisational capabilities
- Use of technology including Microsoft products, virtual meetings
- Self-motivation and enthusiasm
- Data protection and confidentiality
- Team working
Applicants are invited to include their current CV with their application. Please send applications in the first instance to firstname.lastname@example.org by close of play October 5th 2020.
If you are interested in applying and require more details of this role please contact Head of CPD, Tom Pridmore on 07947 535844 or 01200 414496