What We Do
TMI focuses on two main areas of work:
Sharing knowledge and expertise in destination management:
- TMI organises two must-attend national events a year, the Annual Convention and the Hot Topic debate. These are great opportunities to hear the latest developments in all aspects of destination management, as well as to network with fellow professionals.
- We encourage and support members to organise local/regional networking and update events and opportunities, either purely as TMI or working with the wider Tourism Society chapter.
- The TMI LinkedIn Group is our online forum for discussion and debate on all things destination management related.
- We recognise the importance of supporting destination management professionals at all stages of their career. We have student placement guidelines and a course recognition scheme to give guidance and support to those just starting out in tourism destination management, and encourage more established members to take full advantage of ongoing professional development opportunities.
Being a voice for destination management:
- We represent the interests of destination management on national bodies and respond to consultations by government and VisitBritain, among others
- We offer members the opportunity to comment on policy and developments as destination management professionals