Higher Education Recognition Scheme
TMI operates an assessment and recognition scheme for higher education courses in tourism. Recognition lasts for a period of five years, or until the course undergoes major changes or revalidation, and provides evidence of industry recognition. TMI course recognition can also provide the basis for establishing and implementing a broader professional development partnership with TMI aimed at strengthening links with TMI’s network of tourism destination management practitioners.
What are the Benefits?
Recognition gives your university:
- Citation in Key Information Set returns
- Use of the TMI logo on marketing material relating to the course
- Access to TMI practitioner members for group and individual project work
- Access to TMI practitioner members for student placement opportunities
- TMI practitioners to sit on university industry liaison panels
- Discounted student membership of TMI, giving students access to TMI’s job vacancy service, online resources and latest news on all things destination management
- Opportunity for final year students to enter their placement report for the David Hughes Memorial Award Click here to see a sample entry
- Opportunity for postgraduate students to enter for the TMI Postgraduate Prize
- Any student successfully completing a recognised course is automatically eligible for Associate membership of TMI (ATMI)
- Opportunity for students to gain CPD hours' recognition for taking part in one-off events organised by your Univerity
- An entry on the TMI CPD Resources web pages
- Reassurance for your students and potential students that the qualification they gain at the end of their studies is accepted by the professional body for destination management
Don’t just take our word for it - university colleagues agree:
“Linkages between tourism industry professional bodies and Higher Education institutions are vital to ensure that tourism courses are relevant, and provide students with the knowledge and skills to meet industry needs. Sheffield Hallam University believes this is confirmed by TMI Recognition Scheme endorsement of its BSc (Hons) Tourism Management course.” Jayne Stocks, Principal Lecturer, Sheffield Hallam University
"Robert Gordon University is delighted to have achieved recognition from the Tourism Management Institute for both the BA (Honours) in International Tourism Management and the MSc in International Hospitality and Tourism Management. The University is committed to linkages with industry and professional bodies as they play a crucial role in the structure of the courses and indeed in the student experience. We value our working relationship with TMI, recognising that this secures industry credibility and brings benefits in collaborative working and student recruitment." Andrew Martin, Director, Scottish Centre of Tourism, Aberdeen Business School
Applicant institutions also find the guidelines useful in preparing courses for validation:
"Recognition by TMI gives us and our students the assurance that studying these programmes with us will provide them with the knowledge, understanding, skills and experience which fully prepares them for a career in tourism destination management. From our perspective as providers, we found the guidelines themselves to be a very useful tool in preparing the courses for validation." Melvyn Pryer, Dean of the School of Recreation, Sport and Tourism, University College Birmingham.
How to Apply:
Higher education institutions seeking recognition should demonstrate how their course(s) meet(s) TMI’s criteria, downloadable here.
The application will be assessed by a practitioner and an academic member of the TMI CPD Working Group, normally within 6 weeks’ of receipt of the completed application and purchase order.
What does it cost?
The recognition fee is available for academic programmes and, once achieved, is valid for a period of 5 years or to the point of the next validation.
The costs are outlined below:
- Single payment per programme, payable on application: £1,000 + VAT
- Multiple pathway programmes: Fee plus £100 (per award)
- Application for 2 or more courses to be recognised: 10% discount
- 1-3 TMI members actively involved in the award(s): £75 discount
- 4+ TMI members actively involved in the award(s): £100 discount
- Less than 2 calendar years to revalidation: Flat fee: £750 (with no further discounts)
How do I find out more?
Please contact Joyce Cawthorpe, TMI CPD Co-ordinatorTel: 07590 123299 Email: email@example.com