The David Hughes Memorial Award
Students on TMI Recognised Courses are eligible to enter their placement report for the David Hughes Memorial Award. Launched in 2012 in memory of former TMI President David Hughes, the Award is presented to the student on a TMI Recognised Course who submits a report on their placement/project which demonstrates what they have learned, how they have been able to apply the knowledge gained through their coursework to the workplace, and the impact this has had on their personal as well as professional development.
Course leaders can submit up to three students’ placement reports by 30 June 2021. The submissions are assessed by the TMI Professional Development Group who pass their recommendation to the Executive for final approval.
The Award is a substantial opportunity for the winning student to network with destination management professionals, showcase themselves and kick start their career. The prize includes:
- One year’s FREE Associate membership of TMI, the voice of destination management;
- The opportunity to engage in a one to one professional mentor meeting, with a senior TMI member and/or experienced destination practitioner;
- A complimentary delegate place at the TMI Annual Convention - to hear the latest developments in destination management and be able to network with leading professionals in the sector;
- If relevant, a small bursary will be available to cover reasonable UK travel costs to attend the event;
- Opportunity to write a blog piece about their placement/project experience for publication on the TMI website and associated platforms;
- A certificate recognising their CPD engagement with regards to destination management;
- Be the subject of a TMI Press Release to showcase their acheivement and that of their University's recognised course.