The David Hughes Memorial Award
Students on TMI Recognised Courses are eligible to enter their placement report for the David Hughes Memorial Award. Launched in 2012 in memory of former TMI President David Hughes, the Award is presented to the student on a TMI Recognised Course who submits a report on their placement which demonstrates what they have learned, how they have been able to apply the knowledge gained through their coursework to the workplace, and the impact this has had on their personal as well as professional development.
Course leaders can submit up to three students’ placement reports any time between October and the end of January. The submissions are assessed by the TMI Professional Development Group who pass their recommendation to the Executive for final approval, normally at the March meeting.
The Award is a substantial opportunity for the winning student to network with destination management professionals, showcase themselves and kick start their career. The prize includes:
- One year’s FREE Associate membership of TMI, giving them access to a network of over 200 professionals in tourism destination management and targeted job vacancies;
- Complimentary delegate place at one of the TMI’s two main professional development events – the Hot Topic or the Annual Convention - where they will hear the latest developments in destination management and be able to network with leading professionals in the sector;
- Opportunity to give a short presentation about their placement at the event;
- Bursary to cover reasonable travel and subsistence costs to attend the event
- Invitation to attend TMI National Council meetings (2 per year) as a student/new graduate co-optee
- Opportunity for informal mentoring by a TMI Fellow
- Certificate for the winner's portfolio and for their University